Did you know?
The LEGO® name is made from the first two letters of the Danish words LEG GODT, meaning “play well”.
– The LEGO Group patented the LEGO brick with the familiar tubes inside and studs on top on 28 January 1958. All 2 x 4 LEGO bricks manufactured since have been produced to the exact same measurements as this patent.
– LEGO DUPLO bricks are eight times the size of original LEGO bricks – yet they both connect together.
– On average, every person on the earth owns 86 LEGO bricks!
– In 2012, 45.7 billion LEGO bricks were produced at a rate of 5.2 million per hour.
– Laid end to end, the number of LEGO bricks sold in 2012 would stretch round the world more than 18 times.
– To reach the moon you would need to build a column of around 40 billion LEGO bricks.
– The first minifigure was produced in 1978. Since then more than 4 billion have been made – making it the world’s largest population group!
– Each minifigure is exactly four bricks high without a hat.